First, there’s an important distinction between graduation and Commencement.
You’ve almost completed your degree. It’s time to think about graduation.
Graduation means you’ve completed your degree. You can graduate in December, May, or August. You must apply for graduation so that we can verify you’ve met your degree requirements.
There’s specialized graduation information for students in general studies.
Commencement is a ceremony that IUPUI holds each May to honor new graduates.
All students who have completed or will complete their degree requirements during the current academic year (December, May, and August) can participate in May Commencement. So you can participate in Commencement even if you’re taking summer classes to finish your degree.
The School of Liberal Arts also holds an event for its new graduates.Learn about IUPUI Commencement and school events
Apply to graduate
Applying to graduate is an important step that all students must complete. You’re telling us when you plan to complete your degree.
Undergraduates: if you apply to graduate by the priority deadline, you’ll receive a degree audit to see if you’ll meet your degree requirements by your intended graduation date. We’ll contact you if we see any problems. We’ll also start sending you information about Commencement.
Deadlines for undergrads to apply for graduation
December 2019 graduation
- Priority deadline: May 15, 2019. Only students who applied by this deadline are guaranteed a degree audit prior to the start of fall classes.
- Final deadline: October 1, 2019
May 2020 graduation
- Priority deadline: October 15, 2019 Only students who applied by this deadline are guaranteed a degree audit prior to the start of spring classes.
Final deadline: January 1, 2020. Apply by this date to be eligible to graduate with distinction and to make sure your name is in the Commencement program.
August 2020 graduation
- Priority deadline: January 15, 2020. Only students who applied by this deadline are guaranteed a degree audit prior to the start of summer classes. You’ll also be eligible to graduate with distinction, and your name will be in the May 2020 Commencement program.
- Final deadline: May 1, 2020
December 2020 graduation
- Priority deadline: May 15, 2020. Only students who applied by this deadline are guaranteed a degree audit prior to the start of fall classes
- Final deadline: October 1, 2020
More information for undergraduates
Do you need to delay your graduation?
Tell us as soon as possible. Contact Tiea Julian in Cavanaugh Hall 401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduation with distinction
Your diploma will arrive about three months after you graduate. We’ll write to your IUPUI email account when your diploma is available. In the meantime, you can purchase an official transcript to show employers or graduate schools that want to verify your degree.
Minors are confirmed in Student Affairs. Please visit the Minor Declaration Form (https://liberalarts.iupui.edu/admissions/update-major-form.html) to let us know you are working towards a Liberal Arts minor. If you are completing minor coursework in the same semester of graduation it is very important that you are in timely communication with Student Affairs because there is a short turnaround from final grades to degree conferral. Minors will not be awarded after a degree is conferred.