Robert Barrows History Graduate Student Paper Scholarship
This scholarship recognizes Professor Emeritus Robert G. Barrows and his many contributions to the History Department's Graduate Studies program. Professor Emeritus Barrows served as the Department's Director of Graduate Studies and then Chair of the Department. He has mentored and trained a staggering number of graduate students that went through the History Department program. The Robert Barrows History Graduate Student Paper Scholarship is given annually to a current IUPUI graduate student who submits the best history paper in the current academic year.
Papers will be judged on the basis of their research analysis, originality, and writing.
- Papers must be written by a graduate student currently enrolled at IUPUI. Any paper written on a historical topic for a graduate-level IUPUI class in the current academic year is eligible. You don't need to be a history graduate student, nor does the paper need to have been written for a history course.
- Papers must be double-spaced AND in final form: clean, typed copy that is free of all comments by previous readers. Preference is given to papers of at least 15 pages in length that incorporate research into both primary sources and historical scholarship. Although a thesis in its entirety is not eligible for the award, a student may submit a stand-alone chapter that was submitted to a class such as H720 or H750.
- A student may submit no more than two (2) papers (or chapters) for the Robert Barrows History Graduate Student Paper Scholarship in a given year.
- Papers must conform to standard citation practices, e.g. Turabian's A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, The Chicago Manual of Style, or MLA format.
- Papers must not contain the student's name. Attach a separate cover sheet with the title of the paper and your name, address, e-mail, telephone number, and student ID number. Also indicate for which class the paper was originally written (course number, instructor, and semester) and indicate that you are submitting the paper for the Robert Barrows Graduate Student Paper Scholarship.
How to Apply
Visit our scholarship application website to apply for this scholarship and others.