By Sports Capital Journalism Program Staff | @SportsCapJour
Yahoo Sports’ Pat Forde pens a personal column on the joy and pride of watching his kids making it to the U.S. Olympic swim trials.
Chris Hine, an openly gay sports writer, asks why do gay athletes remain in the closet, even as LGBT rights progress.
Outside The Lines goes behind the scenes as former basketball player Sebastien Bellin rehabs after devastating injuries from the Brussels Airport bombing.
USA Today’s Nicole Auerbach provides a look at Pitt running back James Conner’s battle with cancer and the scars left behind.
USA Track and Field athlete Phoebe Wright explains what “going pro” in track and field really means.
Deadspin’s Ryan Goldberg dives deep and buries America’s favorite sports betting expert, RJ Bell, by exposing his money-losing tout site.
ESPN The Magazine’s Wayne Drehs on how Michael Phelps has finally found peace out of the water.
Tim Rohan, of The New York Times, writes on what led former Ohio State wrestler and football player Kosta Karageorge to commit suicide at 22.
Sabermetrician Bill James provides his plan on how to stop tanking in the NBA through altering the draft.
Chicago Tribune columnist David Haugh opines that trading former NBA MVP Derrick Rose was a hard decision, but the right one for the Chicago Bulls.
John Brant, of The New York Times Magazine, writes on the marriage that led to the Russian track team’s Olympic ban.
LeBron James and the Cavaliers brought a championship back to Cleveland for the first time in 52 years. Here are some of the top stories following Game 7:
- Lee Jenkins uses his access and observation to write this SI cover story on how LeBron James worked to keep his promise of bringing a title to Cleveland.
- ESPN’s Dave McMenamin and Brian Windhorst provide a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the Cavaliers’ celebration following Game 7.
- Yahoo Sports’ Dan Wetzel on why LeBron James wept after winning the NBA Finals.
- LeBron James’ journey to bringing a championship to Cleveland was like so many literary classics of the 19th century. The story’s arc has reached its climax. Article by Marc Tracy, of The New York Times.
- ESPN Sport Science breaks down LeBron James’ chasedown block on Andre Iguodala.
Lionel Messi on what winning the Copa America would mean to Argentina, as told to SI’s Grant Wahl.