IU School of Liberal Arts Dean's Advisory Council includes alumni and members of the community, each serving a three-year appointment. Council members offer a wide range of expertise and insights that inform the School’s strategic development efforts, institutional promotional and advancement, and strategic planning.
Members have contributed generous gifts to enhance high impact experiences for students, increase student scholarships, and expand paid internship opportunities for students through the IUPUI Liberal Arts Works Scholarship and the Dean's Priorities Fund.
The School of Liberal Arts Dean's Advisory Council supports the teaching, research, extension and outreach missions of the School. Specific purposes are to:
- Serve as ambassadors for the IU School of Liberal Arts departments and programs to the professions, business communities, and the larger society
- Provide suggestions and recommendations for vision and leadership of the School, especially regarding new initiatives and changing needs
- Strengthen the community partnership and fundraising/stewardship potential of the School
- Help the School communicate its goals and growth to internal and external audiences
- Elevate the institutional image of the School
The Council includes approximately 15 to 20 individuals, invited by the Dean of the IU School of Liberal Arts, and composed of alumni, friends and supporters. The Dean and the Office of Development and External Affairs leadership shall be ex officio members. Members will serve a 3-year term and may be reappointed for a one-time renewable term.
Members completing their terms of appointment may be invited to continue affiliation with the Council and the School as members of the School of Liberal Arts Honorary Council of Advisors.
The Council holds three meetings per year with the Dean presiding.