Available to philosophy majors only, this program allows you to complete a BA and MA in five years instead of six. The program consists of three years of undergraduate coursework, a fourth year of both undergraduate and graduate coursework, and a final year devoted exclusively to graduate work.
- Achieved junior status.
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.3 or better, and a GPA in their major of 3.5 or better.
- Completed at least 60 of their undergraduate credit hours and at least 15 of their Philosophy credit hours at IUPUI.
- Completed the 9 credit hours of introductory level required undergraduate courses for Philosophy.
During your senior year, if your eligibility has been confirmed you must:
- Take the GRE.
- Complete and pass a maximum of four philosophy courses (12 credit hours) offered as combined undergraduate/graduate courses (e.g., PHIL-P560/P385: Metaphysics), having registered and completed the requirements for the graduate course, with a grade of at least a B. These may then be double counted towards the M.A. degree.
Eligible and interested students must apply for admission to the BA/MA program no later than March 1st of their senior year (October 15th if their final semester is in the fall). A complete application includes:
- Graduate School Application Form together with the application fee
- Personal statement of goals, abilities, and reasons for pursuing the MA degree
- Sample of academic writing (a term paper from a philosophy course is preferred)
- Three letters of recommendation, of which at least two must be written by full-time members of the philosophy faculty
- GRE Scores
- Official Transcripts
Applications will be reviewed by the departmental graduate admissions committee.
If you have any questions, please contact the director graduate studies, Professor Chad Carmichael, email@example.com.