Students benefit from career coaching throughout their entire college career. Developing your career is a process.
Click the tabs above to see the career services timeline that is recommended for you.
Explore Your Options:
- Meet with your career and academic advisors to discuss majors, minors, and career options.
Identify Your Passion:
- Assess your personality, interests, values, and skills using FOCUS as a free resource. Visit: go.iupui.edu/focus
Begin Building Your Resume:
- It’s likely the one you start with will not be the same you graduate with. Get a head start on creating your perfect resume!
- Be an active participant of an interesting club or organization on campus, in the community or both!
Connect Classroom Experience with Real World Experience
- Search for summer jobs and internship opportunities related to your career interests. Short or Long term, it all counts!
Meet with Your Career Advisor:
- Learn how to link your majors and minors to various career options.
Update Your Resume:
- Highlight your first year experiences and accomplishments.
Network with Employers and Alumni:
- Connect with employers at campus events and find mentors.
- Consider taking a leadership role in a club or organization.
Begin Exploring Internships
- Use career.iupui.edu to identify and apply for internships that seem interesting to you.
- Start to build practical work experience!
Stay Focused on Your Goals:
- Employers and graduate schools pay attention to your GPA and participation in leadership/volunteer activities.
Plan for Life After College:
- Meet with your Academic and Career Advisors as you plan for your last year of college and beyond.
Continue Pursuing Internships:
- A resume with diverse experiences will catch the attention of employers and graduate schools.
Broaden your perspective
- Consider studying abroad or adding an additional minor.
Get Ready, Set, GO!
- Polish your resume, cover letter, and develop a 30 second infomercial about yourself to make the most of the career fairs.
- Gather information about employers, industries, and programs of interest to make well-informed career decisions.
Utilize Career Services:
- Meet with your Career Advisor to review successful search strategies as you apply for jobs/graduate programs.
Enhance Your Visibility with Employers and Graduate Schools:
- Consider participating in on-campus recruiting, career and graduate school fairs and other campus events.
Refine Your Resume and Cover Letter:
- Your resume and cover letter are essential components of your job search – be sure they are targeted and error free before you apply.
Practice Your Interviewing Skills:
- Schedule a mock interview with a Career Advisor, an employer or your mentor.
Create Your Professional Image:
- Transition from student to polished professional – dress for success and market yourself with confidence.
Nurture Your Professional Network:
- Use your professional network for support, leads, and encouragement as you explore post-graduation opportunities.