IU School of Liberal Arts Student Council -
Join us at our monthly meetings - Open to all. Spring 2018 schedule posted on TheDen.iupui.edu
Wed., Jan. 24, 2018, 6:00PM-7:30PM, CA235 tent.
Wed., Feb. 13, 2018, 6:00PM-7:30PM, CA235 tent.
Wed., Feb. 28, 2018, 6:00PM-7:30PM (selection meeting for awards)
Wed., Mar. 21, 2018, 6:00PM-7:30PM (elections for 2018/2019)
Thurs., Mar. 29, 2018, 6:00PM-8:00PM, CA508 - end of year celebration
(presentation of new officers and award recipients)
Tues., 1/23/18 - Registered Student Organizations Town Hall Meeting, CE305, 2-3PM
Wed., Jan. 24, 2018 - 10:00AM-2:00PM, Campus Center 1st Floor and TV Lounge - Spring Callout
(Student organizations need to register by Dec. 1 to reserve tables)
- Thurs., Feb. 1, 2018 - Liberal Arts Scholarship Applications Due.
- Fri., Feb. 16, 2018 - Liberal Arts Jag Day - visit with prospective students
- Mon., Feb. 19, 2018 - Liberal Arts Jag Day - visit with prospective students
- Fri., Feb. 23 - Award Nominations Due
- Sat., Mar. 10 - Regional Spelling Bee (volunteers needed)
- Sun., Mar. 18 - Scholarships Arts & Writing Competition Celebration (volunteers needed)
- Sat., April 21 - Liberal Arts Celebration of Scholarship
Student Council Contact: 2017/2018 Officers:
Contact us through the DEN at IUPUI: - https://theden.iupui.edu/ or firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 274-2465 or visit us at Cavanaugh Hall, CA243D. And join us on Facebook - Liberal Arts Student Council at IUPUI
President: Mariam Sylla email@example.com
VicePresident/Risk Mngr: Logan Bromm
Public Relations: Mariam Sylla firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Amina Suvalija email@example.com
Secretary/Reservationist: Eden Rea-Hedrick firstname.lastname@example.org
Senators: Amina Suvalija email@example.com; Quinn Weikel firstname.lastname@example.org;
Advisor - Amy Jones Richardson email@example.com
Send all budgets and/or funding requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (forms found in Documents folder in the LASC site on the Den) and/or post to the LASC site on the Den.iupui.edu messages (to all) 14 days prior to meetings or as soon as possible. All members will vote on budget proposals.
Liberal Arts Student Council Officers hold regular office hours during the academic year near the Liberal Arts Student Information Center in Cavanaugh Hall Room 243D. Drop in or schedule an appointment by contacting one of the officers.
Groups may reserve the 2nd floor lobby information table space through the CA243D office. firstname.lastname@example.org or 274-2465
IU School of Liberal Arts Student Council - the student organization that coordinates student activities for the School of Liberal Arts. Liberal Arts Student Council is open to all Liberal Arts students.
Officers and Representatives should be in good academic standing (i.e. - cum GPA of 2.0 or higher). Officers are elected through campus elections in the spring each year for the following year.
Representatives are members of the student organizations housed in the IU School of Liberal Arts and all students who attend meetings of the Student Council. The expectation is that at least one representative from each student organization will participate (we have at least one student organization housed in each academic department, so representatives also need to get word about activities and issues to students throughout that department). Members at large are also welcome!
Meetings are open to all IUPUI students, as well as faculty, staff, and visitors who are interested in participating in the council. Minutes of meetings are posted on the group’s site in the Den and Facebook page.
PURPOSE: According to the Constitution of the Liberal Arts Student Council, the purpose of the Council is "to support the exchange of information between Liberal Arts students and the School, as well as between Liberal Arts students and the campus level undergraduate student government, and to allocate the student activities funds to student organizations housed in the IU School of Liberal Arts and be responsible for the proper recording of those allocations and expenses." (Liberal Arts Student Council Constitution, April 22, 2004)
Examples of activities of the Liberal Arts Student Council include:
- IUPUI Regatta team and hosts for IU School of Liberal Arts tent
- "Stress-Free Zone" during Exam Week each fall and spring with snacks and stress-relief activities
- co-sponsorship of guest speakers on campus, particularly in fields relevant to the humanities and social sciences
- financial support for the refurbishing of lobbies in Cavanaugh Hall with student in-put about furniture and design
- student representation on Liberal Arts committees (such as technology, library, academic affairs, etc)
- participation in the Liberal Arts Strategic Plan - with special sessions for students to discuss their ideas and issues with the Dean and faculty
- organizing and supporting a Diversity Conference ("Bridging the Gap")
- providing student seats at MLK Jr Dinner, Harvey Milk Dinner, Chavez Dinner, Asian Heritage Dinner and other events.
- providing tickets to cultural activities and events - particularly to theater, dance, performance, historical, and social awareness/reflection events.
The Liberal Arts Student Council maintains page on the Den at IUPUI with campus/community event information, funding request forms (for student organizations within the school), discussion forums, minutes, and other useful material. To be added to the site, contact email@example.com