Whatever your major, liberal arts can help set you apart
Whether you’re interested in a major, minor, certificate, or select classes, liberal arts study delivers the knowledge and experiences employers seek from today’s workforce plus the lifelong learning ability you need for graduate school and today’s complex world. With liberal arts, you get not only the skills you need for your first career, but also the versatility you need for all that will follow. Finally, with a liberal arts education, you get to do things in your work and in your life that make a difference in the world.
Capital city learning means experts, opportunities others can’t match
Many colleges and universities teach liberal arts courses and conduct research. So does IUPUI.But because it is located in the heart of a thriving downtown, a bustling capital city and a booming region, IUPUI’s School of Liberal Arts offers remarkable opportunities for real-world application of classroom learning. Because faculty members are engaged in the community with nonprofits, government, and business, they bring many related opportunities to their students. Whether it’s experts providing guest lectures, service-learning projects in the community, work-while-you learn employment opportunities, internships, or more, IUPUI offers the depth and breadth of major-university liberal arts education coupled with real-world experiences that set our graduates apart.
Remarkable variety gives you a world of opportunities
At the IU School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI, you may choose from a wide variety of fields in12 academic departments, 8 academic programs and more than a dozen centers and institutes for research and education. With departments of anthropology, communication studies, economics, English, geography, history, journalism/public relations, philosophy, political science, religious studies, sociology, and world languages and cultures, our graduates might choose to:
- Market companies and products globally
- Build employee morale
- Inform public policy
- Spark ideas
- Help citizens learn from the past
- Grow the economy
- Help diverse people coexist
- Write, speak, and present well
- Unearth, analyze, and share information
- Improve health
- Change the world
Liberal arts for undergraduates and graduates alike
As part of a major urban university, IUPUI’s School of Liberal Arts offers 20 undergraduate majors (as well as joint degrees and tracks within some of those major areas) and several undergraduate certificates. Most departments also offer graduate degrees and certificates, with a focus on applying disciplinary expertise in professional settings.Students also may choose a Ph.D. program in economics or health communication.
Depth and breadth and opportunities for people like you
- You learn alongside more than 2,000 undergraduate majors and 300 graduate students.
- In 2014-2015, IUPUI’s School of Liberal Arts provided more than $250,000 in scholarships and awards to its majors and minors.
- Liberal Arts students recently studied abroad in Mexico, Greece, Kenya, Spain, Japan, England, France, Germany, and many other nations around the globe.
- 250 full-time faculty teach classes at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Countless experts supplement those educators by providing guest lectures, service-learning opportunities, internships, and more.
- Over the past five years, Liberal Arts faculty received $ 30,828,610 in external grants and contracts – projects that often provide even more opportunities for students to participate in research and learn from experiences.