School of Liberal Arts Faculty Guide
Liberal Arts Dean's Staff and Academic Units
Due Dates & Deadlines for Academic Year 2013 - 2014
For the most current information on events and deadlines please check the online Dean's Administrative Calendar
New Faculty Resources
- New Faculty Orientation
Tuesday, August 13 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
CA 438, Lunch provided, please RSVP to Candice Smith (274-8305) no later than August 12, 2013 at noon.
- IUPUI New Faculty Welcome (Click here to register) will immediately follow:
When: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 | 1:30 PM-04:30 PM
Where: Campus Center 450
An event designed specifically for you, the New Faculty Welcome, affords new faculty members the opportunity to hear from Chancellor Charles Bantz, Executive Vice Chancellor Nasser Paydar, and others as they share with you their hopes as you embark on your career at IUPUI. Additional details will be forthcoming.
- Campus Maps
- Human Resources
- University Information Technology Services, UITS
- Internet, Phone, and much more...
- JagTag - University ID
- Center for Teaching and Learning - Associate Faculty Fall Forum - If you are a part-time faculty member, whether new or returning, you are invited to attend this special event designed to support you in your teaching role at IUPUI. Get ready for the next semester, meet other associate faculty, and participate in the following interactive sessions: Teaching with Oncourse, Using Classroom Technology, Designing an Effective Course Syllabus, and Teaching a Course You Did Not Design. Click here to register.
- A light dinner will be served.
- Center for Service and Learning
Faculty assistance in integrating service learning and other civic engagement activities into their coursework, assistance for faculty who are looking for one-time service activities for their students, and assistance for faculty to support teaching, service, and research with community partners.
- Indiana University Directories
IU People Search (includes IUPUI), IU Register, Purdue People Search
- School of Liberal Arts Faculty/Staff Directory - Please take a moment in the next few weeks to update your biography in the Liberal Arts faculty staff directory. To update your entry:
- Visit http://liberalarts.iupui.edu/directory/
- Wait for the page to load.
- Select: "Update Your Bio" (located on the right side of the page as well as at the bottom of the department navigation at left).
- You will need to authenticate with your usual network ID and associated passphrase.
- Complete your changes. Save your changes periodically as the system will time out otherwise.
- Things to keep in mind:
- Please pay special attention to the new CV field which enables you to link your curriculum vita to your bio. To submit your CV in Word or PDF format use this form (http://liberalarts.iupui.edu/forms/cv.php) or email it to Adam Chesnes (email@example.com). Note: A link to your CV will only appear in your bio if you have submitted a CV.
- Please make sure that your personal and emergency contact information is accurate. This is particularly important as we work to be in compliance with the campus' emergency policies. (Personal and emergency information is NOT publically viewable.)
- Remember that the directory is searchable for academic interests, so keep that in mind when filling in the academic interests field as well as the keywords field.
- There are a few pieces of information in your bio that require administrator access to update. Please contact Adam Chesnes for assistance.
- Save your changes.
- Remember that your bio will be unavailable following your update for at least 24-48 hours depending on whether you complete your changes over a weekend.
- If you are a department staff member in charge of the directory for your area, please take this opportunity to look across your department biographies, particularly those of your part-time faculty, and make adjustments for the new academic year. For help, once you are logged in to the system, click "Help" in the upper right corner.
- Scheduling Liberal Arts Meeting Rooms
Use this link to fill out a request for the type of room for which you are looking. Your request will be routed to the proper office and you should expect a reply within 2 business days. If your request is a more immediate need, please contact Chrystal Powers (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Academic Policies and Procedures
- Indiana University Academic Handbook
- A Guide For IUPUI Faculty
- Faculty Appointments and Advancement
- School of Liberal Arts Academic Policies and Procedures
- IU Trustees
- IUPUI Faculty Council
- Constitution of the IUPUI Faculty
- Copyright Management Center
- IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct
- Dealing with Student Academic Misconduct
- Registrar's Academic Calendar
Information on dates classes meet, when students can drop/add, final dates to withdraw, the exam period, dates the campus is closed, etc. can be found here
- Class Rosters
- Submitting final grades
Grade Distribution Reports are sent out each semester to the Chairs with grade distribution statistics for the previous semester. Review these both for high and low grades; W as well as D and F
- Course Evaluations:
Contacts for course evaluations are the Thomas Upton, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs; Bill Stuckey (Tech Services); and Candice Smith (Academic Coordinator)
- Waitlist Statistics
- IUPUI Student Records Retention Schedule
- IUPUI Textbook Requests
FacultyOnline gives college faculty access to textbook information, including lists of top-selling titles by course and discipline; textbook reviews; book-in-use data; new title information; discussion forums; and a course materials information exchange
- Faculty Center
Your source for comprehensive information about the college textbook universe
- The Office of the Registrar provides a Schedule Review and Timeline document for each department from the last matching term (last Fall is used for the next Fall, for example). Departments review and revise their course offerings by starting with the Schedule Review Document, correcting the information as appropriate and adding new classes as necessary. Schedule documents are returned to the Academic Coordinator, Candice Smith.
- Due dates can be found on the Dean's Academic Calendar.
- Schedule proofs are submitted to the Associate Dean's office one week before they are due in the registrar's office. They will be turned in as a group from the Dean's office. In addition to the proofs each department should submit a list with:
- the number of sections offered at each level; i.e. 12 sections at 100 level, 3 sections at 200 level, etc.
- the number of sections to be taught by part-time faculty vs. number of section taught by full-time faculty
- for the summer only, the costs; a spreadsheet will be provided for the reporting of this information
- Schedule Proof Form
- Enrollment Authorization Guide
- Enrollment Reports for Current Semesters
- Archived Enrollment Reports
- Head Count and 5-Year Trend Reports
- Archived 5-Year Treands - Genealogy
- Other IUPUI Enrollment Reporting
- Point-in-cycle Reports
- Course Minimap:
Fall/Spring semester: 15 undergraduate 100-200 level courses, 12 Undergraduate 300-400 level courses, 6 graduate level courses. Independent studies and other courses not counted as part of regular load
Exceptions must be requested BEFORE the start of the semester (email to Associate Dean for Academic Affairs) based on student need (to graduate, key course in major); program development (first time course offered); instructor (new tenure-track; part-time)
- Canceling classes:
The department MUST notify the students in the class and try and help them find another section. Contact Mary Anne Black, Registrar's office
- Undergraduate Curriculum
School of Liberal Arts Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
- Graduate Curriculum
School of Liberal Arts Graduate Curriculum Committee
Graduate Affairs Committee: Curriculum Subcommittee
Guidelines for New or Change Graduate Course Requests
Promotion and Tenure
- School of Liberal Arts Promotion and Tenure Guidelines
- School of Liberal Arts Promotion and Tenure Criteria
- School of Liberal Arts Promotion and Tenure Criteria for Lecturers
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) Dean of the Faculties' Guidelines For Preparing and Reviewing Promotion and Tenure Dossiers 2013-2014
- The School of Liberal Arts and IUPUI P&T workshops are usually scheduled in early March
- School of Liberal Arts Research
- IUPUI Research and Sponsored Programs
- School of Liberal Arts Associate Dean for Research is Jeffrey Wilson, CA 441
- Research/budget questions should be brought to the School of Liberal Arts Research Analyst, Edith Millikan or the IU School of Liberal Arts Grants Coordinator, Mary Cox
- Travel Management Services
- Travel Guidelines, Planning a Trip, Online Reservations, and Trip Reimbursements
- Onestart Tab for those with access to schedule travel.
Annual Report and Review
- Faculty Annual Report
- Login through Onestart is required to complete your Annual Report
- Faculty Annual Reports are done each January by all full-time faculty; hard copies DO NOT need to be submitted to the Dean's office as they can be accessed online.
- Current curriculum vitas are to be submitted electronically, in either WORD or PDF format when you submit your online Faculty Annual Report (you will attach it on the last tab)
- Faculty Annual Review Form