Certificate in Theatre
The Undergraduate Certificate in Theatre and Performance is designed to develop competencies in the analysis, creation, and production of performance with a particular focus on small group and solo performance in the urban context. Students will be exposed to numerous cultural and theoretical perspectives from which to engage current scholarship in the field of Theatre and Performance.
Students will develop skills in many aspects of Theatre and Performance including oral interpretation, acting, directing, script analysis, educational theatre, literary analysis, creative production, arts management, and professional and community theatre with special emphasis on solo and small group performance. Students will accomplish this by being exposed to a broad interdisciplinary background in the field of Theatre and Performance and the role performance serves in society. Students will also have the opportunity to interact with artists and practitioners in the Indianapolis Arts community.
What does the Certificate consist of? The Undergraduate Certificate Program in Theatre and Performance consists of 18 credit hours of course work, including a required Theatre and Performance Core of two basic courses (6 hours), and a choice of three additional courses from a list of Theatre and Performance Electives (9 hours), and a three credit hour Independent Creative Project under the direction of the program director. All of these courses must be passed with a grade of C or above in order to count for the certificate. Electives and an Independent Creative Project proposal must also be approved by the program director.
- Students who are currently enrolled at IUPUI may be considered for this certificate if they meet the following criteria:
Have earned 55 credit hours towards their degree at IUPUI and have at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Students who have not enrolled at IUPUI may be considered for this certificate if they meet the following criteria: Apply for Undergraduate Admission to IUPUI and specify the Theatre and Performance Certificate as their objective. They must also have 55 credit hours of transferable work and at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA
- TRANSFER STUDENTS: Only 6 credit hours of Theatre transfer course credit can be applied to this certificate
Want to learn more? Select Theatre and Peformance Certificate Requirements for ALL admission and program requirements. Select Course Descriptions for Theatre Certificate for a list of all courses available.
You’ve decided to earn the Certificate. Here’s what you need to do next:
In order to complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Theatre and Performance, you will need to first meet with the director of the program. The first form listed below is a checklist you should complete prior to your meeting. The second form listed are the directions for what to do and submit after you have completed all requirements.
- IUPUI Undergraduate Certificate in Theatre and Performance Checklist
- IUPUI Undergraduate Certificate in Theatre and Performance Certification Form
For more information on the Undergraduate Certificate in Theatre and Performance, please contact Jan DeWester, M.A., Director of the Certificate in Theatre and Performance Program: firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 274-2615.